Sacramento – The California State Board of Equalization (BOE) has announced that business owners and feepayers impacted by the severe storms in Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego counties may request an extension to file their returns, relief of penalties and/or interest from some taxes and fees, or to replace copies of records lost to damage.
“We wanted to provide some sunshine to businesses that were seriously affected by the recent storms” said Harkey. “Our offices are here to help those impacted by the severe storms and our BOE and/or FTB staff is here to discuss their options on filing extensions and waiving of interest and penalties,” said Board Member Diane Harkey.
Tax and feepayers can go online to request relief from penalty and/or interest, and an extension of time to file a tax/fee return.
Those without Internet access may call the BOE customer service center at 1-800-400-7115 (TTY: 711), Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).
Relief from penalty and interest is available for the following programs.
- Sales and Use Taxes
- Fire Prevention Fee
- Alcoholic Beverage Tax
- Cigarette and Tobacco Products Tax
- Energy Resources Surcharge
- Emergency Telephone Users Surcharge
- Natural Gas Surcharge
- Timber Yield Tax
- Fuel Taxes (Diesel Fuel Tax, Interstate User Tax, Use Fuel Tax, Motor Vehicle Fuel Tax, Aircraft Jet Fuel Tax)
- Underground Storage Tank Maintenance Fee
- Oil Spill Prevention Fee and Oil Spill Response Fee
- Lumber Assessment Fee
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Fee
- Integrated Waste Management Fee
- Occupational Lead Poisoning Prevention Fee
- Electronic Waste Recycling (eWaste) Fee
- Marine Invasive Species Fee (Ballast Water Management Fee)
- California Tire Fee (Tire recycling fee)
- Hazardous Substances Fees (Environmental Fee, Activity Fee, Generator Fee, Disposal Fee, Facility Fee)
- Water Rights Fee
The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is also ready to assist taxpayers in any hardship situation. For detailed information on installment arrangements or their Disaster Loss – How to Claim a State Tax Deduction publication, taxpayers can go to FTB’s website or call the FTB Assistance Line at 1-800-852-5711 (TTY: 800-822-6268), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Pacific Time), except holidays.